Wednesday, January 30, 2008

More Rachael Ray...

Tried another recipe from my new-ish Rachael Ray cookbook tonight. The last one turned out well, but took more time that Ms. Ray suggested was necessary. This time? Total disaster. What supposedly should have taken 30 minutes took almost exactly 60. And it wasn't gourmet by any means. My intention was to try to broaden the horizons of my children's sad little palates, but just by a smidgen. Instead of neon orange macaroni and cheese from the box*, I thought I'd do this pasta with gruyere cheese sauce, topped with bacon. I mean, who doesn't like anything topped with bacon?

And I thought the bacon would ease the kids' pain of trying something new. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. The shit was nasty. So, after 60 minutes of cooking with twin one-year olds whining and pulling at my legs, the result was so gross that my kids actually chose leftover tuna noodle casserole over it. I ate 5 bites and threw it out.

*I love Kraft mac and cheese, don't get me wrong. Just trying to introduce non-orange cheese to the little punks.

1 comment:

  1. Oh good. I mean, not good that you had a gross dinner that took an hour to make, but good that something Rachael Ray says is great isn't. Cause she annoys me so much that I feel happiness when she is wrong. Hmm, I wonder what that says about me? Actually reminds me of the lyrics from Lily Allen's song Smile: At first when I see you cry, yeah it makes me smile. Rachael Ray did not break up with me, though. So I guess the lyrics aren't totally apt.

    ReplyDelete