Thursday, January 17, 2008

Observations on Rachael Ray

I received a Rachael Ray cookbook for my birthday and decided to try it out this week. Last night, I chose a recipe which was supposed to take 60 minutes (as opposed to her infamous 30 minute meals). I started at 4:14 p.m. and finished at 5:34 p.m., I think - or maybe it was 5:43. Anyway, I was 20 or 30 minutes off the mark.

As I was considering how exactly the timing was off, I realized - Rachael Ray does not have four children or a telephone on her Food Network set. She does not have a five year old girl sitting at the counter recounting her plans for visiting New York City when she turns 12. She does not have two one-year-olds opening cabinets, climbing stairs and pulling on her pantlegs. She does not have a six year old boy scavenging through her cabinets for raisins and then asking for help in opening the cellophane. She does not have friends calling about what to wear to a party or weekend plans in the midst of food prep.

So, I do actually believe that Rachael Ray is truthful about the time it takes to prepare her recipes - but she prepares her recipes in fantasyland kitchen and not in the real world of people who actually need 30 minute meals...

All that said, dinner was pretty good (I WILL NOT EVER SAY "YUMM-O!" or even "EVOO" - she might have decent recipes but her personality does drive me completely insane...). Beef sirloin braised in apple cider with sour cream/white cheddar mashed potatoes. The kids even liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment