Saturday, February 23, 2008

Eternal Sunshine?

G, for some reason, has been having trouble keeping the twins straight lately. Now, they have lived with us for a year. They are not identical. Not by a long shot. But all of the sudden their names are a problem. I tend to believe that it is because G basically ignores the babies to the best of his ability. Unless they are sucking on one of G's Transformers or inadvertently changing from NickToons to BET whilst chewing on the remote, G steers clear of the babies. Add that to some basic attention/distraction issues and voila! he refers to them as "that baby" or "this baby."

After a few days of this, he finally keyed in last night and started really engaging with the babies, calling them very specifically by their correct names.

When I asked him how he was able to remember their names now, he - all of six years old - said:

"I don't know, Mom. It just, just ... comes out of my unconscious mind!"

1 comment:

  1. I have a six year old as well and sometimes the things they say amaze me!

    ReplyDelete