Friday, February 22, 2008

This is Going Too Fast

M, a preschooler, said to me today: "Mom, I want to get my ears peered. So I can wear real earrings and not the plastic kind that clip."

Me, completely unprepared for this conversation: Oh. Do you know anyone who has their ears pierced?

M: You.

Me: I mean, anyone who is a kid.

M, completely anticipating my argument: Lana, at school. And she is only three!

Me: Hmmm.

Now, did I explain to her that Lana has a different cultural background than we do and that probably accounts for Lana's three year old pierced ears? Umm, not today.

Me: Well, different moms let their kids get their ears pierced at different times. I don't think I'll probably let you get yours pierced until you're 10.

M: Oh.

[a minute or so passes]

M: Does it hurt to get your ears peered?

Me: Yep. It doesn't hurt afterwards, but when they're actually doing it? It hurts. Kind of like a shot.

M: Oh.

[another minute passes]

M: Mom, I think I changed my mind. I don't want to get my ears peered.

No comments:

Post a Comment