Monday, February 11, 2008

Who Knew He was so Friggin Smart?

G sent an email to his aunt today, wishing her a happy birthday. He typed it himself. It was very cute, complete with misspellings. He "luv"s her.

Anyway, after he hit the Send button, I said, "There it goes!" And he said, "It's going over the telegraph wires all the way to her house and the telegram message will type out at her house after it comes out of the telegraph wires." I laughed and asked him where he learned about telegraphs and telegrams. I was sure he would tell me something like Tom and Jerry. He told me that he "thought of it in [his] brain." I thought, "How cute! My son has reinvented the telegraph machine 170 years after it was first invented."

Actually, I didn't know that it was 170 years old at the time. I looked that up. Imagine my surprise when I looked it up - thank you Wikipedia - and found that "[t]elegraphy includes recent forms of data transmission such as fax, email, and computer networks in general. (A telegraph is a machine for transmitting and receiving messages over long distances, i.e., for telegraphy. The word telegraph alone generally refers to an electrical telegraph)."


So, as I giggled at his suggestion that his email message was traveling "over the telegraph wires," it turns out that the six year old wasn't all that wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment